Thinking of presenting your prints pre-matted and ready for framing? Here are some things to consider:
– If you have your pieces pre-matted and can tell potential customers that they fit into a standard-sized frame, you have a great selling point. Pre-made frames will save time and money when a client wants to put your artwork up on their wall.
– White or off white mats will set off almost any artwork as well as match almost any decor. An easy choice!
– Pre-made mat sizes vary from store to store. Check your window sizes carefully before ordering your prints.
– To make easy-to-frame prints you may want to start with a standard rectangle when creating your original. Long, skinny mats or mats slightly off from square will only be available with custom cutting.
– Even if you can’t fit your image into a standard precut mat window, you can still fit it into a standard frame. Mat suppliers like the Matshop offer very reasonably priced mats with standard outside dimensions and custom cut window sizes.
– Check around to make sure the frame size you have in mind is readily available in art stores and frame shops. What may be standard in one brand or in one store may not be so in others.
– When ordering your prints keep in mind that your window size should be a bit smaller than your image size. If they are exactly the same size you will have trouble lining them up without your borders showing. Either order your mat window a bit smaller or your print size a bit larger. Mat cutters will not automatically make this adjustment, they will make the window size exactly as ordered.
– Remember when ordering prints you will need to specify both your image size and the border size. Having a border will make your prints easier to mat.
– Once your print is matted, finish packaging it professionally in a clear resealable bag with backing. We offer backings in several weights to suit the size of your print. Our backings can be cut to any size you need.
– Consider putting a business card or certificate in the back of your packaged print so that you are easy to contact later on.